Wooden chopsticks are cheap and readily available throughout the world, especially in regions of Asia where the demand for English teachers is high. The versatility of such a plain tool is endless. Following are 11 practical uses for wooden chopsticks in the English classroom.
These ideas can be utilized in schools with a lack of materials, or incorporated into any lesson as an effective way to break away from the use of technology for everything. Most activities do not require students to know how to properly handle chopsticks.
TEACHING TOOLS MADE OUT OF WOODEN CHOPSTICKS
2. Create name pickers with wooden chopsticks to fairly call on students.
SIMPLE AND EASY WOODEN CHOPSTICK ACTIVITIES FOR ENGLISH LEARNERS
4. Play Roll, Roll, Roll Your Wooden Chopstick (Gently Down the Floor).
Roll, roll, roll your chopsticks,
Gently down the floor,
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
English class we adore!
5. Use wooden chopsticks to make a puppet show.
6. Play “Pick-up Sticks” with wooden chopsticks.
ADVANCED ACTIVITIES FOR ENGLISH LESSONS USING WOODEN CHOPSTICKS
7. Have students work in teams to construct towers out of wooden chopsticks.
8. Poof! Turn wooden chopsticks into magic wands for skits or role-plays.
9. Pass English expressions around a circle using wooden chopsticks.
10. Use wooden chopsticks to make S’mores during an English lesson.
11. Form an English class beatbox band using wooden chopsticks.
JOIN CHASE: Fun, Easy Ways to Spice Up Your English Lessons